Monday, January 24, 2011

WAIT PATIENTLY

Waiting is hard for us. Being patient is hard for us. Waiting patiently seems almost impossible for us,doesn't it! We live in a fast paced society. We cook or heat food in our microwaves in seconds or minutes, we go to fast-food restaurants to get meals quickly, we can access information from the other side of the world with a click of the mouse. We hate sitting at stoplights and click through commercials because we don't like waiting for our favorite show or movie to come back on. If you are in a situation where you are waiting for God to give you an answer about something or where you want God to change a situation in your life, this probably will not happen immediately. God is not on the same wave length as we are when it comes to timing. When we want or need something, we want it NOW not later. To our dismay, the word wait is used over and over in the Bible.
There was a time when I had to wait for God to get us out of a miserable church setting or drastically change the circumstances there. It seemed like He took forever to do this. A little book called "You're Late Again, Lord!" by Karon Phillips Goodman helped me get through this waiting period. I've marked many verses that are in this book about waiting on the Lord. Here are just a few: "Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day." - Psalm 25:4-5 and "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I do hope." -Psalm 130:5
"Therefor humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7 and one of my favorite verses in the entire Bible: "But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31. In her book, Karon asks these questions: 1) How do you react when you have to wait for something? 2) How does your spirit and strength suffer when you're waiting? and then she says "Think about how you want to mount up, run, and walk into a closer relationship with God." I'd love to hear some of your answers to these questions.
Remember, God has not forgotten you, He is just waiting for the right time to help you soar like an eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment