Monday, January 17, 2011

DO YOU FEEL LIKE A FISH?

I saw a large aquarium full of beautiful fish at a restaurant the other day. I enjoyed watching them swim around and all the different colors and species of fish while waiting for our table.
I even told Gary that maybe we should buy a fish for a pet. We don't have any other pets since he's allergic to dogs and I'm allergic to cats and our yard is too big for us to have fenced in. In reality, even a fish wouldn't be realistic since we have to go out of town alot for our ministry. I do have a stuffed dog named Kringle that has become my pet. Getting back to the fish-do you ever feel like a fish? As the wife of a minister in a church, I lived in a fishbowl and so do you.
Everything you say and do is watched by your members. This can be very annoying and also put alot of pressure on a person. After awhile, I learned to just be myself and not worry about what other people expected me to be. I know we have to use good judgment but if you live your life like any other committed Christian should, then there should be no problem. There will still be those that don't like something you say or do but you can't please everyone. Lifeway Christian Resources organized a "Between Us Ministers' Wives" equipping event in March of 2009 and held a panel discussion with MW's from a couple of different states. They talked about some of the issues they face. Here is some of the advice they offered: "Be real. Be who God designed you to be." "Your first call is to walk with God. Your second is to take care of your husband and your family. Your third is to the ministry." "Remember that you are only responsible for you. I can't control anyone else's spiritual growth, passion or anything. Seek God first every day." So, even if you are a fish in a bowl being watched-be the kind of fish God created you to be, not the kind someone else thinks you should be! Keep on swimming dear fishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment