Friday, April 8, 2011

OVERWHELMING NEEDS VS. YOUR WELL-BEING

As a minister's wife, it is easy to get overwhelmed and depressed by all the sicknesses, deaths, marital problems, job losses, surgeries and other needs in your church family. You hear of all the prayer requests on Sun. and Wed. and also get them through e-mails or calls to your home. Plus, you know of many concerns and needs in your own family or those of your own friends who are not in your church.
Prayer is wonderful and we should spend as much time as we can praying for the needs of others. However, don't let it drag you down. I often find myself praying when I lay down to go to sleep at night. I have to make myself limit this time of prayer and then force myself to think of more pleasant things or I can't go to sleep. I read somewhere that you should never watch the 11:00 news then try to go to sleep.
It is hard to fall asleep when you have troubling or sad thoughts on your mind.
Do your serious praying at another time during the day. If you find yourself being drug down by all the needs, take time to do something to help lift your spirits.
Watch some cartoons or a funny movie. Read an uplifting inspirational book or listen to upbeat, cheerful music. Take a walk or get some exercise. With warm weather coming, you can get outside and plant some flowers. Going to a garden center and just looking at all the gorgeous flowers lifts my spirits. Invite a fun friend to lunch or for coffee. Keep on praying but take care of yourself,too.

No comments:

Post a Comment