Wednesday, April 20, 2011

COMFORTING WORDS

During this Holy Week as I read the accounts of what Jesus and his Disciples went through, different things "pop out" at me. In John 13, Jesus tells his Disciples that one of them will betray him. Then, he tells Peter he will deny knowing him.
They did not understand yet what was going to happen to Jesus or where he was going but they were confused and scared and wanted to go with him. What really touched me, though, was in John 14, where Jesus tries to comfort his Disciples. He says: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:1-4) Then He promises to send them the Holy Spirit to be with them and in them. In verse 27 he says "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Jesus was about to be betrayed by one of his closest followers, denied by another then handed over to die a painful death. However, his concern was for his Disciples. Instead of seeking their comfort He is the one trying to encourage and comfort them. Would we do the same in this situation? What a wonderful Lord we have. Even when we face our own trials, let's follow Jesus' example and still try to be a comforter and encourager to others. May you feel His peace today!

No comments:

Post a Comment